The Blue Marine Foundation (BLUE) exists to combat over-fishing and the destruction of biodiversity – arguably the largest problem facing the world’s oceans – by delivering practical conservation solutions, including the creation of large-scale marine reserves. BLUE’s aim is to place 10% of the world’s oceans under protection by 2020 and 30% by 2030. We also work to establish models of sustainable fishing, allowing fish stocks to recover over time.
This is an excellent opportunity to gain some event experience through BLUE’s largest annual event, the London to Monaco cycle ride. Founded in 2016 with BLUE’s long-standing partner Winch Design, London to Monaco was launched to help BLUE raise funds and awareness to support its conservation efforts around the world. This year’s ride, organised by Just Pedal, will run over eight days, departing from London with a celebrity send-off before carving its way through four countries and celebrating with a champagne finish at the Prince’s Palace in Monaco.
BLUE is seeking someone with previous event experience, who is driven, enthusiastic and willing to take on a range of different tasks, to assist with making this year’s London to Monaco the biggest and most successful to date.
The successful applicant will be based in BLUE’s office in Central London.
Payment: You will be paid the London Living Wage of £10.55 p/h
Hours & contract information:
Hours: Three days a week to begin, 9.30am to 5.30pm, with the possibility of this increasing to a full-time role closer to the time of the event
Duration: April – September 2019 (possibility to start earlier depending on availability)
Location: Central London
Reporting to: Sara-Jane Skinner, Head of Partnerships
You may be required to accompany the team to Monaco for the event: 17 – 25 September 2019.
Please send your CV and a letter explaining your skills and suitability for the role to:
Poppy Wetherill: email@example.com
The application deadline is Thursday 28 February 2019.
Role and Responsibilities:
– Increase social media presence on London to Monaco social media channels including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, by sourcing and sharing newsworthy information about L2M updates, BLUE’s work and ad-hoc cycling news
– Assist the Head of Partnerships with recruiting riders
– Create communication templates and updates to send to participants pre-ride, during ride and post ride
– Create content for monthly newsletters to send out to participants
– Collect blogs, interviews and stories from participants for the website and social media
– Maintain and update participants’ records including key details, kit sizes, fundraising levels, RSVPs to pre-ride events etc.
– Regularly update London to Monaco’s website
– Assist the Head of Operations on the departure, pre-ride and arrival events
– Liaise with participants and respond to queries within a 24 hour time period
– Source key equipment and materials for the departure and arrival events
– Liaise with Just Pedal, the L2M cycle tour operator, to organise training rides and communicate with riders
– Liaise with key event partners and suppliers in run-up to the ride to ensure smooth running of the event and coordinate their involvement in pre-ride events
– Manage social media over the 8-day ride by coordinating with the photographer, videographer and freelance writer to make daily posts and blogs
– This would be an ideal role for a recent graduate from an events discipline, with administration experience and interest in or passion for sport.
– Creative communication skills
– IT competency – spreadsheet skills in Excel and Powerpoint presentations
– Database knowledge
– Interest in comms, event planning and administration and a willingness to learn
– Excellent written and spoken English
– Adept at handling a whole range of relationships
– The ability to work independently as well as with other people
– Be able to handle a variety of tasks simultaneously, and deliver to a high standard under pressure
– Participate as a full team member and work to deliver team objectives
– Pay close attention to detail and ensure complete accuracy within work produced
– Good interpersonal and communication skills
– Knowledge of cycling
– Experience in working on mass participation events
– Comms experience
– Participated in a challenge event
- Job opportunity: Blue Marine Foundation South-West Coordinator
- Ascension - Ocean of Life
- Job opportunity: London to Monaco paid internship
- Mackerel is off the menu as stocks fall
- Plymouth Sound National Marine Park
- BLUE's 2018 Review
- UK parliamentary committee urges MSC to review sustainable fishing standards
- Environmental Audit Committee Sustainable Seas Report
- Britain can take the lead in saving seas from disaster
- Plymouth commits to launching Britain's first National Marine Park