Location: Six Senses Laamu, Olhuveli Island, Laamu Atoll, Maldives
Objectives: To enable the timely delivery Blue Marine Foundation’s activities conducted with Maldives Underwater Initiative at Six Senses Laamu
Contract: One year, consultancy contract
Working Hours: Six days a week, 9am-6pm. The Consultant shall work on an average of 21 days per month, according to the local customs and Maldivian law on days agreed with the Company.
Reporting to: Maldives Project Manager & International Projects Manager
Salary: Competitive depending on experience
Main Duties: See below:
- Providing technical day-to-day support to ensure the delivery of the ‘Maldives Resilient Reefs Project’ on Laamu Atoll, including data management and reporting.
- Providing support and technical advice on specific marine conservation issues in the Maldives.
- Contributing to blogs, social media and updates on BLUE’s/Maldives Resilient Reef’s websites and other materials.
- Building and maintaining relationships with other marine NGOs and partner organizations in the Maldives.
- Providing weekly and monthly updates to BLUE’s International Project Manager and Maldives Project Manager.
- Project Delivery and support
- Providing on-site support to ensure on site delivery of the resort reef fishery project, specifically:
- Monitoring the resort fish landing and purchasing process and supporting its improvement.
- Monitoring the resort recreational fishing process and supporting its improvement.
- Organizing the bi-annual fishery committee meetings.
- Training of fishermen and relevant departments in the resort on the programme.
- Providing on-site support to ensure the delivery of the research activities relating to the development of the marine reserve, specifically:
- Biodiversity baseline surveys of coral reefs, mangroves and seagrasses
- Grouper spawning aggregation site assessments.
- Providing on-site support to ensure the delivery of BLUE’s education and capacity building programme, specifically:
- Citizen science training programmes.
- Internships programmes for students from Maldives National University.
- The Maldives Resilient Reefs Seminar series.
- The Marine Environmental Programme.
- Build and strengthen relationships with project partners and stakeholders, particularly island councils, fishermen and local communities to enable project delivery.
- Provide support to partners for relevant research and monitoring studies as required.
- Resort activities
- Support the Maldives Underwater Initiative team to engage with tourists on site through activities including:
- Weekly educational presentations.
- Reception duty.
- Snorkel/Fishing trips (one per week).
A University degree is preferable or an equivalent amount of working experience. The individual should be passionate about marine conservation, keen to learn and share knowledge with the wider community.
- Undergraduate Environmental Degree preferable but not essential.
- Fluency in written and spoken English as well as excellent computer literacy.
- Familiar with tropical seascape ecosystems including coral reefs, mangroves and seagrasses.
- Previous history of working with communities, fishermen and or resort environments.
Required competencies and behaviours
- High level of communication and interpersonal skills in working effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Strategic vision and the ability to see what is needed to support the project’s outcomes.
- Planning, organizational and time management skills, including flexibility, attention to detail and the ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to formulate recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in team environment.
- Physically fit to perform in-water activities.
- A sound sense of judgement and commitment to the ethical and cultural values of the country and the organization.
How to apply:
Please send your CV and a letter explaining your skills and suitability for the role to email@example.com by 10 August 2021.