Blue Marine Foundation – Financial Controller
Blue Marine Foundation (BLUE) is seeking a Financial Controller. The purpose of this role is to ensure effective financial and management accounting across the organisation through the development of financial controls and systems and the preparation and analysis of accounting and other financial reporting information. The candidate will need to have a good understanding of BLUE’s UK and international projects and be able to keep running budgets and accounts for each project.
This is an incredible opportunity to join a highly impactful charity at the cutting edge of marine conservation.
Applicants should have at least three years’ experience of working in a financial role. The successful candidate will have strong attention to detail, be highly organised and bring a structured and methodical approach to work.
The successful applicant will be based in BLUE’s office in Central London.
Salary: Negotiable, based on experience
Hours & contract information:
Hours: Full time, Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm
Location: Central London
Holidays: 5 weeks leave per annum plus national holidays
Reporting to: Clare Brook, CEO
Please send your CV and a letter to Amy Hammond explaining your skills and suitability for the role to: Amy Hammond: firstname.lastname@example.org
The application deadline is Thursday 5 April.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Processing invoices and expenses and code credit card statements on a monthly basis
- Manage the relationship with BLUE’s accountants and liaise with them regarding any financial matters
- Download and circulate finance reports on a weekly basis
- Record all income on the database, including donations via Just Giving, Virgin Money Giving, CAF Donate, cheques and BACS payments
- Create and manage budgets for all of BLUE’s projects and events, including BLUE’s annual London to Monaco cycle
- Assisting and supporting the projects’ team with the preparation of financial reports for funding applications and reports to funders. Compiling the financial information for inclusion in end of year grant claims, final claims and returns, and external grant audits
- Produce monthly/bi-monthly income vs expenditure reports per project using Xero accounting system and other reports as required
- Developing and maintaining programme and project reporting and management systems as required
- Provide quarterly financial reports for BLUE’s board meeting
- Record and oversee annual donations to BLUE and issue timely invoices to donors
- Assisting in the production of the draft year end accounts
- Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- First-hand experience of planning, budgeting and forecasting
- Knowledge of a variety of accounts packages
- Knowledge of financial systems and procedures
- Familiarity with all Microsoft packages with advanced spreadsheet skills
- Pay close attention to detail and ensure complete accuracy within work produced
- Be able to handle a variety of tasks simultaneously, and deliver to a high standard
- Strong numerical and literary skills
- Database knowledge
- Excellent written and spoken English
- The ability to work independently as well as with other people
- Participate as a full team member and work to deliver team objectives
- Good Interpersonal and communication skills
- Empathy with the ethos and core values of the organisation
- Good understanding of sustainability issues