The Blue Marine Foundation (BLUE), in conjunction with the Essex Native Oyster Restoration Initiative (ENORI), are seeking a part-time project coordinator to deliver their planned programme of activities in and around the Essex Blackwater estuary.
Working with fishers, scientists, marine authorities and NGOs, this collaborative project aims to restore native oyster stocks and the habitat they provide over the next few years. Our shared vision is for the Essex estuaries to have self-sustaining populations of native oysters that provide ecosystem services, sustainable fisheries and increased biodiversity while recognising their cultural importance.
The project is located in the Blackwater, Crouch, Roach and Colne Estuaries’ Marine Conservation Zone (MCZ). This 284km2 marine protected area was designated in 2013 for both native oysters (the population) and native oyster beds (the habitat). By area, it is the largest restoration project in Europe.
Our ideal candidate would be a marine biology (or similar) graduate with excellent organisational skills, based within a 25-mile radius of Colchester with access to a car.
Role & responsibilities:
- Providing coordination and technical support for the development and delivery of the Essex Native Oyster Restoration Initiative.
- Working closely with project partners to ensure the timely delivery of the project activities.
- Working with BLUE’s Solent project coordinator to ensure synergies and maximum impact of restoration activities.
- Carrying out relevant research as directed by ENORI’s management.
- Proposing and carrying out research and data gathering beneficial to the projects on your own initiative.
- Helping to identify and apply for additional resources to extend native oyster restoration in Essex.
- Assisting with the development of funding proposals for donors and partners, including governmental donors (as required) and identifying innovative solutions to native oyster restoration.
- Helping to provide donors and partners with comprehensive reports on the projects.
- Writing blogs and updates for use in marketing materials on ENORI’s website.
- Coordinating restoration activities in the field including; monitoring, volunteers and cultch laying
- Managing and creating content for the Solent social media sites.
- Building and managing relationships with other marine NGOs and partner organisations as appropriate.
- Representing ENORI externally on the projects, as required.
- Coordinating events and partnerships to raise awareness and funds for the projects.
- Responsible for providing updates on other native oyster restoration initiatives around the UK and further afield.
Salary and terms are negotiable.
In the first instance, please contact Tim Glover, Blue Marine Foundation, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org with a covering letter and CV attached.
Application deadline: 10 September 2018.