Onetrack Club and BLUE have teamed up to launch a run with a twist: 200 runners will work together to achieve a shared goal of 1,000 miles on one track, on one day, and most importantly, raise £100,000 for BLUE.
The run will take place at Battersea Park Millennium Arena on the 1 September 2019. From today, the public can sign up to a 5k, 10k or half marathon and help protect a piece of the ocean on home surf.
The 1,000 mile target represents the almost 1,000 square mile UNESCO Biosphere off the north coast of Devon where BLUE is working with local fishermen and other stakeholders to protect vulnerable marine life.
Founder of Onetrack Club, Anthony Fletcher, said: “Making change happen, whether with fitness or the environment can sometimes seem daunting and overwhelming. We wanted to demonstrate that by harnessing the power of a community, you can break a goal down into actionable chunks to make a difference. The ocean is quite literally one of the biggest places to start when it comes to the environment and we’re thrilled to be working with BLUE to raise awareness and funds for North Devon; it’s a chance to empower us to take control and make a difference in a location many of us will know.”
Morven Robertson, Senior Projects Manager for BLUE, said: “At the heart of our model is collaboration: we work with local fishermen, conservationists, scientists, recreational interests and regulators to develop a plan which will best serve the marine environment and coastal communities. BLUE’s long-term vision is to see the UK’s inshore waters once again teeming with life where sustainable, local fishing communities thrive.”
With these kind of sporting events being prone to creating waste, and with sustainability fundamental to both brands, due diligence is being taken to ensure that the event is single-use plastic free, carbon neutral and that there is thorough waste management on the day.
How to sign up:
To sign up, go to onetrack.club, select your distance (5k, 10k or half marathon), add to your cart and purchase at a cost of £45. Once your place is confirmed, each participant will receive a digital fundraising pack and link to BLUE’s fundraising page. More information about the day and each participant’s specific time slot will be announced closer to the event.
- BLUE's Chief Scientific Adviser appointed to Highly Protected Marine Areas review panel
- Highly Protected Marine Areas review panel confirmed
- Nuclear power plant will suck fish to their deaths
- More gain, less pain in lobster pot sweet spot
- Limits on pot fishing can result in win-win for fishermen and marine wildlife
- Conservation work begins on largest protected area for oysters on Thames estuary after years of pollution and over fishing
- Quarter of all high-end Maldives resorts commit to protect Maldives seagrass
- Quarter of luxury resorts commit to Seagrass Protection
- IOTC adopts 10 percent catch reduction for yellowfin tuna
- 1,000 mile run to save our oceans