Join the challenge on Instagram!
We rely on the ocean. The ocean produces over 50% of the oxygen that we breathe and provides the main source of protein for over one billion people.
However, our ocean is in crisis. Overfishing represents a major issue for food security and has devastating consequences for the biodiversity of our planet. Marine life is under threat from climate change, acidification, pollution, invasive species and plastic. On top of these threats, overfishing is directly depleting the ocean of life.
This is our last chance to make a sustained difference; COVID-19 has given us the opportunity to rebuild and make this a turning point for our ocean, and we need you to be part of this movement. BLUE’s #Motion4Ocean campaign is your chance to make a difference, ensuring our ocean is healthy and safe forever, for everyone. We need your help!
We need to reach protection of 30 per cent of our oceans by 2030 to restore a healthy ocean system that benefits us all.
We can do that. And we must before it’s too late.
Here’s how you can get involved in Motion for Ocean:
1. Get active for 30 minutes. Whether you go for a run, a walk, a surf or do some yoga, the choice is yours – just get active!
2. Donate (any amount) to Blue Marine Foundation.
3. Post a selfie on Instagram Stories nominating three friends to do the challenge. Tag @bluemarinefoundation and include the #Motion4Ocean hashtag and sticker by searching ‘Motion4Ocean’.
Around 90% of commercial fish stocks are fully or over-exploited and 90% of large, predatory fish are gone. Overfishing is one of the greatest threats to the health of our ocean.
The ocean “super year” of 2020 was meant to be a step forward in combating these issues. However, the Covid-19 pandemic has seriously delayed any progress. BLUE’s largest fundraising event, London to Monaco, has been postponed until next year. Several vital global ocean conservation conferences have been postponed or cancelled, without alternative arrangements put in place, and illegal and unregulated fishing is on the rise.
However, 2020 is not over, and we can still make this a turning point to build a healthy ocean forever, for everyone. With your help making motion for ocean successful, we can ensure that we will be able to continue our mission of seeing 30 per cent of the ocean under protection by 2030.
The money you raise with Motion for Ocean will help us:
- Secure marine protected areas to ensure the protection of at least 30 per cent of the ocean by 2030.
- Develop models of sustainable fishing to prove that low-impact fishing benefits marine life, local fishers and communities.
- Restore marine habitats to revive and protect vulnerable and threatened species and to sequester carbon.
- Tackle unsustainable fishing by highlighting poor practice and developing solutions.
- Connect people with the sea and enhance ocean understanding across generations.
Let’s not lose this chance to make this a turning point so we and future generations ahead of us can enjoy an ocean more abundant and healthier than the one we have now.
Thank you for your support!